Saturday, March 22, 2008

1987 Peavey Falcon Custom


This is my 1987 Peavey Falcon Custom, which I bought in ..."1987".
It's a great sounding guitar especially for a "country" sound. I hook it up to my Line 6 POD 2.0 and dial in a 1965 fender twin blackface amp, and let the growling begin.
The bridge pickup is a Dimarzio HS-3. The middle pickup is a original stock pickup, which sounds like it has more output than the Dimarzio's ( more on that shortly ). The neck pickup is a Dimarzio Yngwie j. Malmsteen pickup.
Now on the output of the Dimarzio's. They're very low output. A Dimarzio catalog I have states, both pickups have 93 millivolts in output. Compare that to a Dimarzio fast track 2 single coil pickup rated at 321 millivolts in output.
The lower rated output pickups seem to have a nice "note defining", sound. In other words a very "clear sound". No muddiness. Mr. Malmsteen knows what he's talking about.
My Ibanez RG's pickups really push the same Line 6 POD patch. Higher output pickups of course. Then I find myself adjusting the POD and amp settings to get the particular sound that I want. As of lately the tones I'm chasing are of a "country,Bluesy, Vintage amp sound. The Peavey Falcon Custom is a great sounding guitar, but does not shred very well like an Ibanez RG. Nonetheless it is still a favorite of mine.
cheers, Don

6 Comments:

Blogger crazy tri mama said...

Wow, once again, I have NO idea what you just said!!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Yes, I agree with all that you said. ????? Wow, I don't remember what guitar you were playing Sunday, but it sounded awesome, and the two bass guitars - very very terrific also. There were two, weren't there?

1:18 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Yes, I agree with all that you said. ????? Wow, I don't remember what guitar you were playing Sunday, but it sounded awesome, and the two bass guitars - very very terrific also. There were two, weren't there?

1:18 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

You don't have to know what I said....just look at the BEAUTIFUL GUITAR. And I was playing my white Ibanez sunday. Which I've been rubbing the paint off the thing by playing it so much. Which is a cool look. And there was only one BASS, one acoustic and my buddy jim with his GEORGE LYNCH signature guitar. I know, all this means sooo much. Just remember, if it were'nt fur geetars, we'd all be playing the accordion!!!
Don

6:59 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Yes, you're right about the accordians, but don't forget the autoharp! Maybe some of us would be playing that! Well, I thought Jim played bass? But then, what do I know?

5:50 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Randomly found this blog when I searched Peavey falcon... Anyway, my dad gave me his old one for my 16th birthday. Woohoo :D Can't wait to play it now.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home